Day 14 - the Normandy Beaches

Thursday 7th September 2017
In the morning I walk round the corner back to the guest house where breakfast is on offer. Today I am going to visit a few of the more famous landing beaches before heading up to Calais on the route home.

Remnants of Mulberry harbour

I leave Arromanches at 10am and ride west to Omaha Beach. This was the main landing site for American forces and the setting for the opening sequences of the Saving Private Ryan film.

Omaha Beach
Then east and back past Arromanches and Gold Beach to Juno beaches where the New Zealanders landed. On the way I stop at the memorial site up above Arramanches and see salvaged parts of the Mulberry constructions. It is all very humbling

Memorial site above Arromanches
Finally I head back to the motorway for the run up to Les Ballastieres, an old haunt of mine and close to the tunnel. I am booked in for a night in the Hayloft there, a sort of indoor camping experience and pleasantly cheap.
It's good to see Sue and Paul again and I fill them in on this year's travels. Supper is a Lidl special of bread, cheese, sausage and wine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8 - Into the Pyrenees

Day 4 - Up to the Top

Day 11 - Farewell to the Pyrenees