Days 15 & 16 - Heading Home

Friday 8th September 2017
I say goodbye to Paul and Sue and set off at noon in a brief break in the weather. Rain starts soon though and continues to the Eurotunnel check in.
It takes an age to get through the new enhanced security and all the time the rain is lashing down. I'm early for my 15:50 slot but am not offered an earlier train at check-in so have to hang around the terminal for an hour.
Les Ballastieres (photo from a 2016 Buell trip)
It is still raining hard when my departure time comes and I ride down the lanes with a group of French Kawasaki triple two-strokes. They are a club heading for a triples meet in England.
The rain has stopped when I emerge from the tunnel and stays dry into London to meet up with Jake and Valerie for the night.

Saturday 9th September 2017
Breakfast with Jake & Val, discussing their upcoming far eastern adventure. They leave on 1st October for Bangkok.
I Set off from Crofton Park around 14:30 in bright sunshine. It's a horrible ride through Lewisham and the Blackwall tunnel and finally out of London onto the M11.
Black clouds are gathering and the heavens open around Duxford. I stop under a bridge to don the waterproofs. A friendly driver stops to see if I need help. The raInis absolutely hammering down. So head down as I get onto the A14 and then the A1.
The rain comes and goes, real thunderstorm weather. The new Frank Thomas waterproof suit holds up well though, no leaks so far.
I fiinally arrive home at 18:30, very tired but happy to have completed another 3000 kilometre tour with no problems and plenty of fond memories.

In the heart of the Cantabrian mountains

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8 - Into the Pyrenees

Day 4 - Up to the Top

Day 11 - Farewell to the Pyrenees