Day 1 - Get your Mojo working

Friday 25th August 2017

It is 250 miles to my first night's destination. The sun is shining here in Doncaster and it's a warm day with a light backwind to push me south. Mick stops by to see me off. We got home from our Montenegro tour a month ago and I'm sorry he is not coming on ths trip.
But I'm used to solo touring now. It has a wholly different dynamic when you are on your own.

BMW R1200s for this tour
I am riding my R1200s for this tour. It is lighter and easier to ride than it's heavier older brother and I have used it for touring for 12 years now. There will be no camping on this trip so the sports panniers and a tank bag are more than adequate for the gear I need to pack.

My route today is almost exclusively on the motorways. I have a ferry booked to Spain leaving at 08:45 tomorrow morning so I have arranged to stay overnight with Mojomick, an old buddy from the UK Buell group, who lives in Sturminster Marshall, a village down near the New Forest and a handy 50 miles from the Portsmouth ferry terminal.

It is an easy, boring ride down the M1 to Leicester where I take the M69 and A46, bypassing Coventry and Warwick to link up with the M40. Traffic gets heavy now and I wonder whether travelling on a Bank Holiday has been a bad idea.

Mojo and his garage full of bikes
I am filtering through slow and standing traffic on the M40 and down the A34 but once past Oxford the situation improves and before long I am flying down the M20 and M27. I arrive at Mojo's place around 19:30.

Mick has three sons still living at home, all bikers. I squeeze the Beemer into a garage full of bikes and we settle down to catch up on all the gossip and sink a few beers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4 - Up to the Top

Day 8 - Into the Pyrenees

Days 15 & 16 - Heading Home